How Much Does It Cost to Fill a 275-Gallon Oil Tank?
What Determines Oil’s Cost per Gallon
Though many things go into the daily pricing of home heating oil delivery in New Hampshire, more than anything, heating oil’s supply and demand affects its cost the most. When demand was down last summer due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, prices dropped to historic lows because the oil supply was still as abundant as ever. This is the main reason why oil providers don’t usually advertise a “sticker price” on their heating oil delivery—you may have to call to find out because heating oil delivery prices can change so frequently.
Factors That Affect the Speed of Your Oil Usage
Another thing that will impact how much you spend on oil is how quickly you go through a tank refill. Here are a few things to keep in mind about your New Hampshire household habits:
- Older systems will use oil more quickly than new technology
- Larger families will go through more hot water for showers, dishes, and laundry
- Older homes often have less insulation and don’t hold heat as well
- Colder temperatures in your area will require your heating system to use more oil
- The competitiveness of your heating oil supplier’s pricing will affect your spending
- Using a pre-buy feature can allow you to get oil at lower, off-season pricing
How to Find More Affordable Heating Oil
When it comes to heating oil costs, a good delivery provider will keep margins low to get you the oil you need at a great price. Call around to local fuel oil providers in your area and find out what the daily oil price per gallon looks like. Ask if the oil dealer offers pre-buy, price cap, or budget plan options so you can customize your payment schedule. You can also apply for fuel assistance through a state-funded program designed to alleviate the costs of heating oil. And if your furnace, boiler, or water heater is climbing up there in age, consider installing a high-efficiency upgrade to enjoy better fuel economy for every gallon of oil you go through during the life of the system.